Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The Name Says It All





It has been over twenty years since artists began using websites to showcase their work. The way they present their name, and in particular the typeface used for their name, makes for interesting study.

If we look at the very well known and famous in the creative arts, you may have noticed that over the years of having an online presence, many have kept the same typeface for their name, even though their website designs have changed in style and have been redesigned and upgraded.

At the beginning of my career, I accepted what still sounds to me like a good piece of advice. This was to carefully choose a type face for my name, and to stay with that typeface for the whole of my career.

I chose a classic typeface with a serif, and I'm still using it. It has altered a little, and I have sometimes included my initial, but basically the styling has remained essentially classical.

Here are a few incarnations from my personal typeface timeline, with their subtle differences of what is basically the same idea. Seeing them all lined up, seems like its verging on ego mania, but it does make an interesting point of how a type face can absorb subtle alterations in boldness, colour, and letter spacing etc, and yet still hold the same impression.



Catalogue from Swann Gallery 1986



Painting Flowers book in 2001


CORALGUEST Website 2008



C O R A L   G   G U E S T  Website 2015

                                                             

And the new site to come? The typeface will be much the same as the drawings site. The colours and the styling in general are almost neutral, also similar to the drawings website, and used simply as a showcase for the work.